Fort Branch began as one of a series of forts established along the edge of the western frontier in 1811 to protect the pioneers against raids by roving Indian tribes.
This fort, which consisted of two 2-story block houses surrounded by a stockade, was built on the west side of the Red Bank Trail--midway between Vincennes (capital of the Northwest Territory) on the north and the Ohio River on the south. Its location was selected because of a flowing stream or 'branch' of spring water that assured an adequate supply of water during a siege.
As the area became more populated, different names were attached to the scattered settlements.
The stage line with its relay station, the fort and the Indians now live only in history, but Fort Branch, as a community of over 2500 within the corporate limits and another 1000 within the immediate environs, welcomes all to tarry and visit awhile--or to move in and join us in preserving our heritage while moving forward to greater achievements.
Today, Red Bank Trail has become U.S. Highway 41, and the springs which once quenched the thirst of the stagecoach horses at the relay station now furnish water for the Fort Branch municipal water system.
From "Historical Fort Branch" Published and Distributed by FORT BRANCH BUSINESS ASSOCIATION Fort Branch Indiana